Eight men from Great Whittington and surrounding areas lost their lives during World War 1. The original memorial to their sacrifice was a wooden plaque in the village chapel, which is now a private house, and although not lost, it is therefore no longer available. A new, permanent, War Memorial has been installed at the village hall. The dedication of the memorial took place on remembrance Sunday, the 10th November 2019.
The memorial is in the form of a mill stone, mounted in the wall surrounding the village hall. It is engraved with the names of the soldiers who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919:
Pte. F. Charlton, aged 23
Pte. J.L. Longstaff, aged 19
Pte. J. T. Robson, aged 35
Pte. T. I. Robson, aged 29
Pte. W. J. Robson, aged 33
Sgt. T. Scott, MM, aged 29
Pte. R.T. Strong, aged 24
Pte. J. W. Wilkinson, aged 35
Villager Chris Bryce led a campaign to raise funds for the new war memorial and with the generosity of the village residents, who supported fundraising events and made valuable contributions, the memorial was in place for Remembrance Sunday 2019.
The memorial stone was donated by Ladycross Quarry. Stone has been quarried by hand at the quarry for at least 300 years and it is one of the few remaining quarries where stone is won by hammer and wedge. The village of Blanchland and its abbey were slated with stone from Ladycross in 1740 and stone was also used in Durham Cathedral, Morpeth Castle and Hexham Abbey. Click here to learn more about Ladycross Quarry
The stone was engraved by Nick Rowsell. Nick began his career in London before moving to Newcastle and he is now a resident of Hexham. He has carved many important sculptures, some of them being in worldwide collections. He has been involved with several Memorial pieces in the past including the Bryden Maughan Memorial in Hexham, High Heaton miners memorial in Newcastle and The Robson Memorial in Newcastle. Click here to learn more about Nick Rowsell